We are living in a world that encourages us to be health-conscious at every step. From sustainable cooking to healthy eating, there are many options that are available. But with so many diets and health trends to choose from, we often get confused. Organic food and a gluten-free diet are among the most popular trends today.
What is gluten?
Gluten is a family of proteins found in wheat, barley, rye, and spelt. A gluten-free diet involves excluding foods that contain the protein gluten, such as wheat and rye products. Its name comes from the Latin word for glue. It gives flour a sticky consistency when it’s mixed with water.
This glue-like property helps gluten create a sticky network that gives bread the ability to rise when baked. It also gives bread a chewy and satisfying texture. Most whole, unprocessed foods fit into a gluten-free diet, allowing a wide variety of options. However, certain additives can turn a supposed gluten-free food into one that may affect individuals with conditions like celiac disease.
Organic food by Pro Nature Organic is naturally gluten-free.
Getting Started on the Gluten-Free Diet
What to Avoid
- Pulses & beans
- nuts and seeds
- red meat (fresh beef, pork, lamb, bison)
- poultry (fresh chicken, turkey)
- seafood (fresh fish, scallops, shellfish)
- unflavored soy foods (tofu, tempeh, edamame, etc.)
Gluten-free fats and oils
- butter and ghee
- olives and olive oil
- avocados and avocado oil
- coconut oil
- vegetable and seed oils, including sesame oil, canola oil, and sunflower oil
Anyone who is thinking of eliminating gluten from their diet should take some steps to prepare. These can include:
- Discussing with their doctor any gastrointestinal symptoms, such as chronic or severe abdominal pain, bloating, or diarrhea, as the doctor may need to assess for other conditions
- Continuing to consume gluten until they have been tested for celiac disease, as cutting out gluten may lead to a false negative test result
- Talking to a dietitian before cutting out gluten, to make sure the diet will include all the essential nutrients